Cognizant of the fact that Earth gravity is a key element affecting the accuracy of elevation calculations, GCS has adopted a plan for developing a national gravity network for the kingdom of Saudi Arabia.
Earth gravity has many applications which include the following:
- Developing the Kingdom's national geoid to make it more accurate.
- Storm water channelization
- Correcting setting-out readings
- Monitoring volcanic activity
The national Earth gravity network has two levels:
- The absolute gravity stations
- The relative gravity stations